When the laws concerning recreational use of marijuana in California take effect in 2018, many supporters of legalization will be surprised to learn that marijuana use may still be against the corporate policies of their employers.
Drug-Testing at Work
Every business has the legal right —and the explicit obligation —to both demand from its employees and provide for its employees a safe, drug-free workplace. Just as significantly, this obligation extends to customers, vendors, and visitors. Therefore, most companies – 78% – have some sort of drug-testing policy in place.
In the transportation industry, where there are additional regulatory considerations, 98% of companies perform drug screens.
When do companies drug test?
- As part of the application process – 90% of companies that do drug testing.
- Random (to ensure compliance)—
- 88% test newly-hired workers before their first day.
- 71% conduct drug screens on current employees.
- 32% test temporary/consignment workers.
- Reasonable cause (suspicion of at-work impairment, excessive absenteeism, erratic performance, etc.) – 61%
- Post-accident (injury or property damage) – 59%
- Return-to-work (after authorized stints in rehab)
- Follow-up (for a specific length of time following return-to-work)
- Transfer/Promotion – 1 out of 25 companies
Why Do Companies Drug Test?
Drug testing its employees is in a company’s best interests, with multiple benefits:
- Decreased absenteeism – Drug abusers are 10 times more likely to miss work.
- Increased production – Drug abusers are 33% less productive.
- Less downtime
- Fewer losses due to theft.
- Reduced accidents and Workers Compensation claims. Drug abusers are:
- Over 3.5 times more likely to have a work-related accident.
- 5 times more likely to file a Workers Compensation claim.
- Greater retention
- Improved morale – 97% of Fortune 500 businesses drug test.
- Lowered employee healthcare costs.
Here’s the bottom line – it is a very real possibility that you may be required to make a choice – your marijuana or your job. And if you’re having trouble making that decision, maybe it’s time to re-examine your relationship with marijuana.
If your life is becoming difficult because of your use of marijuana, alcohol, or any other illicit or prescription drug, Lasting Recovery outpatient rehab in San Diego can help.
Help is waiting. Contact us now.
Send an Email
Confidential hotline. Phone answered 7 days a week.