“We’ve since learned that traditional treatments often failed not because of intractable brain damage, but because they were inadequate…However, a host of recent findings about how addiction works have led to the development of effective treatments, and more are coming. Adding to this promising news is evidence that most brains damaged by drugs can recover. Sufferers of addiction can be restored to health.”
~David Sheff, Clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America’s Greatest Tragedy
The first thing a person looking for alcohol or drug rehab in San Diego learns is there is a plethora of options, and the choice can seem overwhelming. Even if you have already completed a residential program, here is why an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) might work for you.
- Maintenance –If you have finished residential treatment and have achieved 30 days of sobriety, what you need most now is a professional LOCAL system of support to help you REMAIN sober, and an IOP can give you that.
- Education – Knowledge is power if used effectively. Evidenced based education is essential to help develop and maintain sobriety long term. Education on the brain, relapse triggers, restoring trust with others, and family education all lead to an improved quality of life in your future.
- Time –At a residential facility, the “typical” treatment for most levels of addiction is 30 days– the thought being that you should have gained the ability to function in a less-structured or restricted setting, as long as you have a strong support system in place, which doesn’t always work out. There are no alcohol and drugs in a residential program so there is little craving or activation of relapse triggers. Research shows that continuing with IOP increases the chance of recovery and reduces relapses.
- Flexibility –Everything you need – one-on-one counseling, peer group therapy sessions, education-focused classes, and meetings with the entire family – are available in both morning and evening options. This makes it far simpler for you to recover and still meet other obligations—work, school, family.
- Fellowship – You will soon get to know the other people in your therapy groups and classes. These will be people from your own community, and you will be able to draw strength and inspiration from one another when you are feeling overwhelmed or tempted. Friendships built during the IOP process are more easily maintained after addiction treatment, through weekly Aftercare.
- Family –Most likely, your family wasn’t very involved with your recovery while you were at the residential facility. During outpatient drug rehab, your loved ones will be encouraged to attend regular counseling and classes. These sessions will help your family gain a greater understanding of your disease, which can promote healing the damage that active addiction has done to your relationships.
- Affordability –IOPs are a fraction of the cost of residential programs. When the facility is contracted, or in-network (HMO, PPO) with the Insurance plans they will pay for a majority of the cost less deductibles and/or copayments. This places a much smaller financial burden on you and your family. You can even continue to work and earn during treatment.
If you need structured help and hope to aid in your journey of sobriety, contact Lasting Recovery today, an outpatient rehab program in San Diego. The licensed clinical staff has over 30 years of experience in helping individuals and families recovery from the damaging effects of addictions and mental health problems. Lasting Recovery utilizes Evidence-Based Therapy strategies that promote physical, mental, and spiritual health.