Recently, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine summed up the negative effects of marijuana:
- Marijuana Can Make You Feel TOO Good
Overstimulation of the brain’s reward systems can impair the ability to derive pleasure from other activities.
- Marijuana Can Increase Your Heart Rate
Smoking marijuana can trigger a heart rate increase of between 20 and 50 beats per minute for up to three hours.
- Marijuana Raises Your Risk of Stroke
Marijuana users have a tripled risk of dying due to high blood pressure.
- Marijuana Throws Off Your Balance
Cannabis directly affects the basal ganglia and the cerebellum, the areas of the brain associated with posture, coordination, balance, and reaction time.
- Marijuana Messes with Your Sense of Time
By affecting the cerebellum, pot causes users to feel as if time has slowed down or sped up.
- Marijuana Makes You Overeat
Pot interferes with the brain circuitry that quells the appetite.
- Marijuana Causes Memory Problems
By changing the way your brain processes information, weed negatively affects short-term memory.
- Marijuana May Trigger Depression
In people who are genetically-vulnerable, smoking marijuana can increase the risk of depression.
- Marijuana Use May Lead to Schizophrenia
Marijuana users are at elevated risk for developing schizophrenia.
- There Is a Connection between Marijuana Use and Anxiety
There seems to be a reciprocal relationship between the use of marijuana and social anxiety.
- Marijuana Physically Changes Your Brain
Long-term pot smokers have a smaller orbitofrontal cortex, the region of the brain associated with decision-making and emotional control.
- Marijuana Use during Pregnancy Affects Unborn Babies
Smoking weed during pregnancy leads to:
- A greater risk of a stillborn birth
- Lower birth weight
- Problems with emotional control
- Memory and problem-solving issues
- Poor academic performance
Despite legalization, marijuana is NOT a harmless drug. Any level of use should come with a real awareness of the potential risks. If marijuana is negatively affecting your life or that of someone you care about, get back on track with help from Lasting Recovery – one of the most-trusted outpatient drug rehabs San Diego has to offer.
Help is waiting. Contact us now.
Send an Email
Confidential hotline. Phone answered 7 days a week.